I have been using the standard iPOD earbuds that came with my 4gig Nano and I am still happy with them. I find them comfortable but many people do not – I must have strange ears 🙂 I did lose the little foam pads though.
What I don’t want in ear buds are the in-ear types that block outside sound – I like to hear what’s going on around me.
Now to the Boxwave Minibuds, not a huge review because I’m not an audiophile so power/noise etc. ratings mean nothing to me. What I want is 1/ nice clear sound – check and 2/ comfortable – check again, the Minibuds deliver.
What these earbuds do have that is a biggy and stands out in the sea of earbuds, is that they are on a retractable pod. I always get tangled with the Apple ones when I have my Nano in my shirt pocket, I always seem to pull the earbuds out by accidentally catching them in some work gear – especially bending down to pick something up – the excess lead dangles down and hooks on, say, my notebook. What a pain.
The Boxwave minibuds overcome this by letting me have the leads shorten and clip to my shirt pocket.
Brilliant and worth every cent, which by the way isn’t much around US $23 – bargain!
Features (from the Boxwave website):
- High quality sound earphones in a portable compact design
- Wide frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Neodymium drivers provide 5 times more power than aluminum, cobolt, or ceramic drivers!
- Premium gold-plated headphone plug reduces signal loss and ensures maximum performance
- Re-engineered physical design specifically for audio use
- Designed with a lapel clip to secure your earbuds in place
- Headphone wires will not over split
- Special wire-manager keeps the two headphone wires from tangling during retraction
- Includes a pair of soft foam pads to cushion while inside your ears
- Durable, compact, and lightweight
- Extends to 41 inches in length
- Silver white or black color
- 3.5mm (1/8 inch) is the size of standard headphone jacks
- Weight: 0.8 oz
- Size: Approx. 4″ H x 1.25″ W x 0.75″ D